Aquaculture production courses are now available
Aquaculture management, biosecurity, fish health, fish welfare and algae culture are some of the open courses at the NAFC Marine Centre, UK and U.S. Algae Technology Educational Consortium.
The NAFC Marine Centre is an educational and scientific institute, located in Shetland, UK. The center delivers training and education, carries out research and development, and provides consultancy, advisory and other services for the maritime industries. These are some of the aquaculture courses available:
- Aquaculture Management CPD online course is a 9-month program delivered by flexible online distance learning leading to a diploma-level qualification in in Aquaculture Management. It is applicable to a wide range of different types of aquaculture.
- Technical apprenticeship in aquaculture is a 24-month program enabling experienced senior-level fish farm staff to obtain a degree-level qualification while working in the aquaculture industry.
- Aquaculture short courses such as biosecurity, fish health and welfare.
More information here.
The U.S. Algae Technology Educational Consortium (ATEC) goal is to develop novel educational programs to strengthen industry workforce capabilities, by focusing on the skills needed to support the commercialization of algal products. The Algal Culture Extension Short-course (ACES) is the extension/outreach component of ATEC. ACES is divided into two components.
- Macroalgae that is designed for those already in the aquaculture/shellfish industry seeking to learn the basic skills to grow these aquatic plants.
- Microalgae cultivation in a short-course that is based on a real college level course. The focus is to assist the algae biomass industry to improve the skill set and techniques required for their industry.
More information and registration here.
ATEC also produces Introduction to algae open online course offered through Coursera. This course brings together some of foremost algae experts from industry and academia to share their experience and understandings of the fundamentals of algae. More information here.