Wednesday, August 31, 2022
The Center for Aquaculture Technologies, a private aquaculture innovation and research company, is seeking two breeding scientists. These are both full-time permanent positions with successful candidates reporting to the director of Breeding and Genomics in the Genetics Department. Applicants based in Asia, the Middle East or the Americas are encouraged to apply.
- One position can be worked remotely; over 25% travel may be required. Ability to work during business hours in Asia or the Americas is required.
- One position may be permanently based in the Middle East or worked remotely with over 50% of travel to the Middle East required.
Salary is commensurate with experience and global location.
As a breeding scientist, the candidate will be responsible for the management, strategy and/or analyses of the selective breeding programs of multiple clients in aquaculture. The candidate will serve as a point person for the client to help support directives that include, but are not limited to, breeding strategy, program design, phenotyping and genotyping strategy, inventory maintenance, biosecurity training/protocol design and data analysis. The candidate will be committed to ensuring that clients have access to the newest technology and methodology related to breeding, genetics, genomics, and aquaculture through innovation and awareness of the current literature. This position requires frequent travel to field sites for clients to oversee program directives and execution.
- Actively engage in designing, planning, and executing breeding programs and research objectives.
- Develop new approaches and customized solutions to aquaculture breeding program challenges.
- Maintain confidentiality of breeding clients’ program details.
- Organize data and information including entering data in a database.
- Maintain effective communication with clients and CAT teams.
- Interact effectively with multiple groups within CAT to execute breeding program goals.
- Analyze genetics and genomics data/information.
Essential selection criteria:
- Degree in genetics, applied breeding or similar.
- Demonstrated experience in applied breeding and genetic improvement.
- Open-minded and flexible approach to problem solving.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Highly responsible and independent with a demonstrated ability to deliver quality outcomes efficiently and in a timely manner.
- High level of organizational skills and ability to precisely document plans and actions.
- Ability to manage data from diverse sources and perform basic analyses.
- Passport and ability to travel.
Desirable selection criteria:
- Experience within the aquaculture industry or aquaculture-related applications of genetic improvement.
- Experience in dealing with, and use, of high dimensional genomic datasets (SNP or NGS data) and associated software for the analysis of such data.
- Experience and/or knowledge of genomic selection and different genomic prediction models.
- Experience in R or Python, or a proven ability to learn computer languages easily.
- Knowledge of population genetics.
Send CV/resume and provide the contact information for three references to email@example.com with Breeding Scientist as the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Check out the latest industry job openings in our Job Board.
We are social. Connect with us on:
Sign Up For Our Publications
Select a newsletter/magazine and submit your e-mail to subscribe.