Principal Research Scientist (Applied Breeder) - Australia
Tuesday, June 8, 2021
CSIRO is looking for a principal research scientist to join the Aquaculture Applied Breeding team which operates a portfolio of commercial breeding programs and associated research projects. The team works across multiple species of finfish, mollusks and crustaceans with clients and collaborators located both in Australia and internationally.
- In collaboration with colleagues, use research and/or industry experience to formulate, develop and implement applied breeding programs and research.
- Thrive in a working environment characterized by commercial delivery and impact through applied science.
- Anticipate and identify research-based solutions to address industry needs through client liaison.
- As a hands-on practitioner in quantitative genetics, analyze large genotype, phenotype, and pedigree datasets to inform applied breeding decisions.
- Lead and supervise staff to ensure the delivery of applied breeding program outcomes in accordance with agreed timeframes and budget, while providing broader scientific leadership in applied breeding.
- Participate in CSIRO leadership pathways with the opportunity to assume future leadership roles.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in quantitative or statistical genetics, or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated experience with deploying advanced genetic technologies and the implementation of genomic selection within applied breeding programs.
- An internationally recognized track record in the field of applied breeding with the ability to engage industry and prospective clients interested in the design, implementation, and continual improvement of selective breeding programs.
- A proven track record delivering to, or working within, commercial breeding activities.
- Experience or familiarity with aquaculture breeding, and scientific leadership in genomic selection and a proven record in leading research activities is desirable.
- Experience working with software developers to design or enhance data management systems and their application to deliver applied breeding programs is also desirable.
For more information and to apply, visit jobs.csiro.au. Apply by June 20, 2021.
Check out the latest industry job openings in our Job Board.
We are social. Connect with us on:
Sign Up For Our Publications
Select a newsletter/magazine and submit your e-mail to subscribe.